There are several reasons why someone might choose to use a menstrual cup:
- Environmentally friendly: Menstrual cups are reusable and can last for several years, reducing the amount of waste generated by disposable menstrual products like pads and tampons.
- Cost-effective: While the initial cost of a menstrual cup may be higher than disposable products, it can save money over time as it does not need to be replaced as frequently.
- Convenience: A menstrual cup can be worn for up to 12 hours, meaning fewer changes throughout the day compared to other menstrual products.
- Health benefits: Menstrual cups do not contain chemicals or fibers that can cause irritation, and they do not disrupt the natural balance of the vaginal flora.
- Comfort: Some people find menstrual cups to be more comfortable than pads or tampons because they do not create the sensation of bulk or moisture.
- Safety: Menstrual cups have a lower risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) than tampons, as they do not absorb the menstrual flow but instead collect it. However, it is still important to follow proper hygiene practices when using a menstrual cup to reduce the risk of infection.